A free, family-friendly sculpture trail of prehistoric proportions is stomping onto the streets of Norwich and Norfolk between Monday 27 June and Saturday 10 September 2022.
GoGoDiscover features 79 individually designed sculptures comprising 55 T.rex and 24 Steppe Mammoths, each decorated by artists from across the country.
The T.rex sculptures will be located around Norwich city centre, with the cretaceous creatures set to appear at popular sites including Chantry Place, Norwich Cathedral, The Forum, Castle Quarter, and Jarrold.
Joining them is a humongous herd of 24 Steppe Mammoths, which will appear outwards from the city centre in towns and tourist hotspots such as King’s Lynn, Holt, Cromer Pier, Holkham, Carrow Road, the Norfolk Broads, Hemsby and Pensthorpe.
GoGoDiscover is an expansion of last year’s 21-strong dinosaur trail, which accompanied the arrival of the Natural History Museum’s legendary Dippy the Diplodocus to Norwich.
Dippy at Norwich Cathedral.
This year, the prehistoric party has been expanded with 58 new sculptures including Steppe Mammoths, which are particularly pertinent to Norfolk since the oldest and largest fossilised mammoth skeleton ever found in the UK was discovered at West Runton, along north Norfolk’s Deep History Coast.
GoGoDiscover is delivered by East Anglian charity Break, in partnership with Wild in Art. The presenting partners for the project are Norwich BID, Chantry Place and ROARR! Dinosaur Adventure.
The project is hoped to raise valuable funds for Break, which makes life better for children and young people who are on the edge of care, in care and leaving care.
All support of GoGoDiscover helps to stamp out the mammoth expectations faced by young adults leaving the care system.
While the trail is free for anyone to join, there are a range of opportunities to help raise funds for Break:
- Trailgoers wanting to locate and identify all 79 of the prehistoric visitors can download the new GoGoDiscover app (£1.99) from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Pick up a GoGoDiscover trail map (suggested donation £1) from a variety of trail map hubs including The Forum, The Royal Arcade, Jarrold and Break retail shops across the county
- Join the sponsored Mammoth Hike and Beach Clean from Holt to Cromer (Sunday 3 July 2022). This 13mile walk ends with a litter pick on the 1.5mile stretch from West Runton to Cromer. This route takes in three of the trail mammoths
- Get sponsored to run, jog or walk the trail with Take on the Trail over the 11 weeks the trail is live
- Buy a raffle ticket (£5 p/ticket) to be in with a chance to win your own medium sized T.rex! Available from https://break-charity.org/win-breakasaurus-rex/
- Pick up the collector’s sticker-book and associated stickers, in partnership with Archant and Eastern Daily Press
- Browse the range of GoGoDiscover merchandise – available from the ROARR! Dinosaur Adventure shop
- Bid for your own dinosaur at the GoGoDiscover auction on 28 September 2022. Successful bidders get to take their chosen dinosaur home after the trail has finished!