The Chapel of St Mary on the Mount, known as the Red Mount Chapel, was built between 1483-85 by Robert Curraunt for William Spynke, the Benedictine prior of Lynn. It was for use by pilgrims travelling to the shrine of Our Lady at Walsingham. The chapel was built on ‘the hylle called the Lady of the Mounte’, on the line of the town’s defences. The brick-built chapel is octagonal, with buttresses at each corner. It has three entrances, the one at the rear probably being used by the priest.