The official visitor website for Norfolk

Refine your search

Type of Venue

 

Location

 

Facilities

 

Or Venue Name

 
 

image for Village item typeWatlington

Village

Watlington village church

Watlington village church

Details

Watlington is located 7 miles south of King’s Lynn and 8 miles north of Downham Market. Easily accessible from the A10, it is also served by its railway station on the King’s Lynn to Cambridge and London line.

Early evidence of the village appears in the 12th century. Early land owners were the Bardolphs of Wormegay and Stow, the head of this family taking the name Sir Robert de Watlington. The church, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, is medieval with Norman origins and is almost entirely built of carstone. Only the base of the Norman church tower survives. The church was rebuilt in grand style in around 1300. The building was altered in the 15th century alterations and restored by the Victorians.

At the centre of the village is the village green. Opposite it is the public house The Angel. The village store and post office is close by.

National cycle route 11 passes through the village so has good cycling connections to King’s Lynn and Downham Market.

Contact

King's Lynn TIC

01553 763044

Address

Watlington,
Norfolk,
PE33 0HA

Location

Directions

See location of Watlington on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TF 617111  Lat: 52.67433 Long: 0.39165