image for Village item typeDocking



King's Lynn,
PE31 8NG

The Church at Docking

The Church at Docking


Docking is a pretty village in the north western corner of Norfolk which can trace its origins back to Roman times. It is one of the highest points in the Norfolk. Because of the elevation of the village it had problems for years with the supply of drinking water, and was often known as ‘Dry Docking’. In the 1760s a well was sunk some 230 feet down which provided domestic water for the village at a farthing per bucket. The use of this well continued until 1936 when water was eventually piped into the village.

Within the village, the church of St Mary the Virgin has a 14th-century chancel and a tower from the early part of the 15th, but there are elements from earlier periods, including a Norman pillar in the nave. Within this pretty village there is a pub, The Railway Inn, a post office and shop and a chip shop.

Docking Market is a local market offering local produce and products. The market takes place on Wednesday mornings at ‘Ripper Hall’ the village hall.

There is currently a village archaeological project to locate the site of a lost priory believed to have been in the area during the 13th and 14th century. One theory is that the village church may have been the site of the former priory church.

The village is only 3-4 miles from the coast including the resort of Hunstanton and is a great base for exploring many surrounding attractions.



See location of Docking on Google mapsSee location on Google maps

Map reference: TF 769368  Lat: 52.90025 Long: 0.62904

You are accepting third-party cookies. powered by NVG