Cromer lifeboat station was established in 1804 as part of the Norfolk Shipwreck Association and taken over by the RNLI in 1857. The station has a remarkable history of war time rescues with 139 taking place between 1939 and 1945, saving 450 lives.
Cromer also has the honour of being home to the most decorated coxswain, Henry George Blogg. 2006 saw the opening of a brand new RNLI museum dedicated to the famous coxswain. The story of Coxswain Blogg and Cromer’s lifeboat crews is now vividly told through the new museum, purpose built on Cromer’s seafront, just yards from the town pier.
Like many of the stations along this stretch of coast, Cromer has two lifeboats – all weather and inshore – because there is so much pleasure boating and other marine activity. The small inflatable D class is housed on the promenade, east of the Gangway, while the slipway-launched Tamar class lifeboat can be found at the end of the pier in one of the most advanced boathouses in Europe. For visitors to the station there is a viewing gallery and shop.
Throughout the station’s history, 56 Medals have been awarded three Gold, eight Silver and 45 Bronze, the last in 1994.
Contact for group visits: Richard Leeds Tel: 01263 512237